I have decided not to be a Snake Oil salesman!
I have decided not to be a Snake oil salesman!
My recent post on taking up a career as a Snake oil salesman attracted a lot of attention. I received a mixture of comments. Some were good and some pretty bad! But this is the world of social media. I have thought again and I really believe in my new treatment. This is a short post on what I am going to do….
- I will not promote my treatment unless I have evidence to support its effectiveness
- It will be my role to discover this evidence, but I will need some help.
- I will critically look at the results of my treatment for all the patients that I have treated with the new technique. I will do this by taking and analysing good clinical records.
- I will present the data as a case report or case series. I will even try and get it published. But if this is not successful I will take note of the comments that the reviewers have made.
- I will seek the advice and help of an experienced research leader in my field. I will listen to their advice and take it on board. If they do not think that my new treatment is unlikely to be effective, I will seek out other researchers, but still listen to what they say.
- Hopefully, I will gain support to start some clinical research into my treatment. This will need ethical committee approval. But this is the correct way to move my treatment forwards.
- This will be difficult, but I realise that research is difficult and time consuming. I will still not be able to sleep at night because research is exciting!
Emeritus Professor of Orthodontics, University of Manchester, UK.